Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Monday, June 20, 2011

A New Job, and Country Fair Fare

I am so excited to report to my blogging friends, that my efforts to find a job have materialized!  Not to say I haven't been working; as you know, I have been a substitute teacher since losing my full time teaching job, in 08.  I still help hubby with data entry and the occasional buyer/seller for real estate.  And I sell my wares on Etsy and the occasional fair.  But my visit last week to job interviews, one was a law firm, looking for a receptionist, and the other, a quilt shop, looking for a sales associate, and teacher of classes.  Guess which one I chose?  Yes, my trip to Abigayles Quiltery yielded more than some quilting yardage.  I met with the owners and it felt like choosing the shop over a job in the legal world was a no-brainer!  Like I was always meant to be here, at this shop at this time in my life!  I am so jazzed!  Somehow I just know this is where I have been headed for most of my working life!  I did own my own craft/consignment shop for a short 2 years in the 80's.  Having the experience of selling, organizing, managing and taking out the trash makes me appreciate all that goes into what the customer sees when they shop.  It is alot of work and can be challenging.  I will love not being the owner this time, and hopefully enjoy working with people and as a team to promote sewing, both as a hobby and a necessity (like breathing) that it is for myself and many like me!  I hope I don't bore you with my work life too much, I hope to share what I learn!  A main component of my job is to sell sewing machines, and I already have spent some time with Bernina 830, top of the line machine that does everything but make coffee!  I have alot to learn, since I have such an ancient machine at home, I kept reaching for the flywheel, to start it, LOL, a high tech machine doesn't need hardly any touching! The hard part is trusting that the machine is a computer, and it doesn't make mistakes.  The operator does, I already tried to sew using the wrong foot, because I didn't read the screen's instructions.  I hope to learn quickly so I can be effective and prove my worth!  Stay tuned!

This past weekend went so fast, I worked the Bay Village Country Fair with my good friend Crystal.  She was a hoot to watch, she hauled two Victorian couches, a sewing machine and all her tools including an electric staple gun.  She was a whirling dervish, (if I spelled that right,) as she worked the crowd, teaching, sewing, laughing!  I tried not to complain too much taking down the tent, but a big thanks to my hubby, who showed up just at the end, to help us take it down.  It is big and the poles are tough to pull apart after baking in the heat and humidity!  Thanks hubby!

Love you Crystal!  Your laugh is contagious! So happy to be your "cohort in crime"!
And a few items I teased you with last post, I started making those fabric necklaces you see all over the blog world. These are my take on them. Inspired of course by my many of you, I used very inexpensive pearls and plastic beads...burned my finger on the glue gun...but you be the judge. Didn't sell the large ones at the show, but little hair clips and pins always go. Guess I should focus on those!

Fabric and Beads Bib Necklace
Gather some strings of beads, below you can see some inexpensive strands I picked up at Good Will.  Then cut out a "bib" out of felt, and glue different ribbons, beads and roses, using a glue gun.



Glue the bib piece over the beads in a few places, then flip the bib over, and secure a second piece over it to cover up the gluey mess!

Below are two others I created by making a band out of felt that I hot glued the roses and earrings to. 


I love the birds nest look to the one above!  I found the silver and pearl bow, and glued this to a band, with bits of lace.  I think keeping the elements white on white make for an elegant necklace. 

I will feature a few of my favorites from Sunday's linky party on my next post. For now, I am really tired, new job and all, so I will post more later this week and put up Linky Party #10

A few more pics from my yard...the rain makes everything so luscious!



Enjoy your summery week, stop back to post in my next linky!  Love your ideas!

No comments:

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter