Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sew much fun, Guest Blogger Karen and Linky #3!

Sewing, for me a lot of fun... 
I mentioned how I have been on a sewing jag lately.  I made 2 teen skirts, a blouse, and a wrap skirt with several outfits cut out waiting for me to attack them.  I am posting this, because while I am a sewist, I enjoy the process, I go in spurts.  Making clothes today is really a form of making practical art.  And if you choose wisely, your garment will be an expression of your creativity and thriftiness.  But not always!  Fabric, and notions are so expensive today, it is why you see me using thrifted garments and searching for vintage lace and buttons.  I have made quite a few giftable items and practical hanging kitchen towels.  Those items don't need the care to be the right size or style, so I have been sewing clothes less often.  And the hardest part is getting the fit right, mainly for me. 

The blouse is cute, made of calico bought on sale.  Vintage buttons, and I got to run the serger a bit.  But, as usual the fit is rather tight, and unless I shed some pounds fast, I will have to start buying plus size patterns.  Sigh...just a reality check...Last year I tried Curves, and it gave me some courage for a while, to take charge, but here I am a year later, the same size only I feel larger than ever...achy hips keep me from doing much more.  I try to walk with hubby and the dog, but it is a chore as the cold still keeps me from mobility. 



 As I write this, I am aching still from alot of walking we did on a 2 day trip to Chicago. Hubby has a yearly meeting there, and we again took my daughter and this time a friend, Rachel. We hit the Sci and Industry museum, Cheesecake Factory restuarant, Navy Pier and of course the Water Tower Place 7 levels of retail therapy!  Some sites here, as well as a quick visit with my Auntie Helen and Cuzzin Janet. 



 


Cheesecake Factory Dessert of course!

 

cheerleading competition at the pier, the younger division, so cute!

Good times, (its water, don't worry!)
Along my travels across the blogosphere, I have met some very crafty and creative people.  One gal, in particular, Karen at SewManyWays.blogspot.com.  She revealed her very "green" sewing room redo.  I couldn't help but ask her if she would guest star on my blog; we seem to have alot in common, her thriftiness in particular, caught my attention.  I have asked her to intro herself, and due to an extremely busy holiday weekend, I have her permission to intro her from her "about" section on her blog. 

About Me


Hi...my name is Karen and I want to welcome you to Sew Many Ways. My life is filled with so many wonderful things, I wanted to share some of it with you on this blog.
I have been married to my husband for 23 years and love him to pieces. We have 2 beautiful daughters who make us proud every day. Our home is quiet now, because we are empty nesters. Both girls are away at college, but thankfully they are both at the same university! That eases our minds that they have each other, but boy do we MISS them!

I love to quilt, sew, craft, blog, drink tea, rearrange furniture and organize. I also love to shop at fabric stores, thrift stores and believe it or not...hardware stores. My most popular feature is a weekly post called Tool Time Tuesday where we always think outside the box for ideas. Join me on this blogging adventure and I will share all my tips, tricks and tutorials with you!
Thanks so much for stopping by and I can't wait to get to know you better,

~Karen~

Thank you Karen, I hope your family enjoys their Easter and I want to wish all my followers and visitors Happy Easter, and Happy Holidays for all of other faiths.  It is our most joyous time of year as Christians, I extend warm wishes to yours from our family.

Linky Party #3 Reap What You Sew Sundays...begins on a Sunday, ends following weekend.

Please post a link of something you made recently that is a "green" idea, one which recycles or repurposes or save the environment and add yourself as a follower.  As a courtesy, spread the word, grab my "Reap What You Sew Sundays" badge on top right of my blog.  I am reoffering a choice of gently previewed crafting books, (see previous post)  I will choose a winner by Random Generator next Sunday, at 6:00 pm. 

7 comments:

Little Brick Ranch said...

Thanks for hosting and inviting me over!! I linked up my shoe storage and greenhouse then through in my notes zone for good measure!! :)

The4Rs said...

Thanks so much, love your idea, I am using my strawberry containers to start some more seedlings! Glad to have you on board!

Angie @ Thrifty Like Me said...

Thanks for the invite! I'm following you now as well. :)

Suzy Myers said...

Thank you for inviting me to your party! I will be sure to add you link to my party page!

suzy

Terry said...

Thanks for inviting me, Sandy. I love your great sewing ideas (that scarf is lovely) and so admire your abilities. Maybe one day, lol. :)

The4Rs said...

I Laugh out loud whenever somneone thinks I sew well! I enjoy it, but I am definately not a perfectionist. Good thing, cause there is always something that just doesn't go right, but I fake it anyway! There are lots of great tutorials on the web, don't be shy about trying!

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum said...

Thank you for inviting me to your link party. I am your newest follower. Come over to Greetings From the Asylum and follow me too!

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter