Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Stuff, Peach Cobbler, Ez Brzy Decorating with Crochet part 2

Summer Stuff, a few more July 4th memories...
 our annual Bay Days Celebrations, with carney rides and community booths.  My daughter and I got to sell Dippin Dots for our local Band Boosters.  Pretty soon, we will be worrying about paying for band trips


and uniforms. Volunteering helps offset the costs.Local bands perform at the Gazebo, we are fortunate to have a lot of local talent!





 Fun in our pool, my daughter babysits 3 active little boys, whom she enjoys babysitting poolside. Here is Froggy, their recent find in the skimmer.  We have found 2 large frogs to date...it must be hot for them to choose chlorinated water!

Decorating with Crochet, part 2
A few more uses of filet crochet, in long panels.  Here is a lazy way to top a window, this piece is pretty raggedy, but it overlooks a remodeling project on our back porch.  It hangs from rod hooks, one on each side.  No sewing, measuring or fiddling, occasionally I reattach so it doesn't swag so low.

     
These matched panels were purchased, and simply frame a bathroom window, keeping the air flowing, but privacy maintained.


 Another window, with the plants infiltrating!

 I love doilies, so of course any small ledge can hold my bounty.  I change them frequently, and enjoy the really lacy ones as art.

I have 2 rectangles that match, one much wider than the other.  Purchased for a buck at a tag sale, I was thrilled to put one to use as a shawl, by threading a chiffony ribbon through the ridges, ending in more ribbon ties at the bottom
  

 
 This shawl could double as a scarf, though it does seem heavy.Below is a pic of the longer and wider panel, I use to protect the top of a dresser in my craft/sewing corner. It is heavy enough to be protective, and light enough to let color show through.



 Here is a view of my living room windows, I have thrifted lace panels that I repurposed from pinch pleat panels.  The toppers are Belgian lace, purchased in the Netherlands, on a trip around 10 years ago.  I so love the lace curtain look, I had to recreate my version.  I have big windows across and wrapping on the sides in my living room, I had to wire rods together in the corners to keep the look consistent.


Last item is a large floor pillow, my mom picked up on her International travels.  It is sturdy and crocheted in a very heavy yarn.  She made me a pillow out of a darker color so that the design shows through. This pillow has graced a floor of various rooms for well over 25 years.  I wash it occasionally, but it keeps on keepin on!

Now for your reward! 
My favorite summertime treat, Peach Cobbler!



Fresh Peach Cobbler from the Eet Smakelijk’s Best (meaning to eat well and with taste) a cookbook by the Junior Welfare League of Holland, MI, my copy is from 1976. I turn to this cookbook often for the tastes of my childhood. My mom’s sister Beezie lived in Holland for most of her life, and turned us on to this great cookbook.


4 ½ cups fresh peaches, sliced ¼ tsp almond extract

1 cup sugar 1 T lemon juice

1 T. cornstarch dash of cinnamon, and nutmeg or cardamon
Shortcake:

1 cup flour 1 egg, beaten

½ cup sugar ¾ cup sour cream

1 tsp. baking powder 2 T butter, melted

¼ tsp salt cream or ice cream to top

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish. Arrange peaches in dish. Combine sugar, cornstarch, extract and juice. Sprinkle on peaches. Heat in oven while preparing shortcake.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside. Combine egg, sour cream and butter; blend well into flour mixture. Drop by spoonfuls onto fruit. Bake 30-40 mins. If desired, serve with cream or ice cream.
I doubled this recipe so that I could deliver one to my elderly neighbor.


 Remember, to not overstir, as this is a quickbread... I added a sprinkle of fresh picked blueberries to the batch, added a nice tangyness (spelling?)



A dusting with cinnamon sugar, and you are good to go, take in summer breezes at sunset!


Some more uses for vintage textiles, in my next installment! Come on back, now ya'll!

No comments:

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Stat Counter