Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My favorite sewing tip/tool (besides my sewing machine) is the humble Safety Pin

  Sew Mama Sew is asking for posts to highlight sewists fav tools and techniques and will be featuring these on their blog at the end of May. I chose to accept this challenge, with my low tech, tool of choice.

My homage to the humble Safety Pin.

You can do so many things with them

Pin baste a quilt for sewing, so you don't get stabbed...
Gather stuff you don't want to lose...
Pin to create a tube, stitch then...
push pin through to turn to right side by scrunching the pin through to opening
Use it as a pin back for a pretty rose...
Take a cute couple's pic...
and make a simple way to create a wall hanging for the wall...

And not shown,  is a pic of me pinning my pants instead of sewing on the button that popped off because I won't lay off of baking and eating!!

A bit of history from Ideafinder.com about the Safety Pin
Walter Hunt had no trouble thinking up new ideas. First he invented a machine to spin flax. Then he invented a fire engine gong, a forest saw, a stove that burned hard coal. His inventions worked, but he just did not have the knack for making money from them. One day in 1849 Walter Hunt wanted to pay a fifteen-dollar debt to a friend. So he decided to invent something new.


From a piece of brass wire about eight inches long, coiled at the center and shielded at one end, he made the first safety pin. He took out a patent on his invention, sold the rights to it for four hundred dollars, paid his friend back and had three hundred eighty-five dollars to spare.


Then he watched his latest brainstorm go on to become a million dollar money earner for someone else.
There is a moral here I am sure...

As a Home Ec teacher, my classroom was the one room in the whole school that a student could find security in knowing we kept a large tin of safety pins.  Probably had someone stop almost every day, as there are mulitple reasons to need one. 
**Check back my regular readers, as I will be continuing my posts on my Quest, part 2 and Thrift Pile Recycles Tuts.  See you soon!**

So Sew Mama Sew, add me to your Fav's list of Fav Tools!

3 comments:

Happy Together said...

Interesting history on the safety pin. I never think about who came up with some things. Thanks for sharing :)

The4Rs said...

Thanks Jess, I tried to come up with a tool you might take for granted...it's lame, but anything for a contest!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest
authoring on other websites? I have a blog based
upon on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share
some stories/information. I know my visitors would
appreciate your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

Here is my web page - wimple

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter