Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Monday, May 3, 2010

Mothers Day Musings and Contest

Hubby, daughter and I just got back yesterday morning from Chicago, a quick 2 day business trip that allowed Kate and I to run around the city, shop, eat, go to a musical, ride city busses, visit a museum and enjoy each others' company.  Poor hubby had to work straight through, both of our jobs had him working alot.  We even got two offers on two of our real estate listings, which kept him chained to phones and the computer as the last minutes of the tax incentive deadline drew near.  More later on all of this, I have to unload the cameras. 

 I am a follower of many blogs as evidenced by my list in the side bar. Recently I discovered one that is having a Mothers Day contest with a few simple rules. Check out Tea Rose Home You simply post on the comments how what your mom taught you, become a follower, and link back to her site. I have her button on mine if you missed the link above. She has some great stuff in her Etsy shop and is offering a credit towards your choice for the prize winner.

My sis Jean, daughter Ashley and I surprised mom for her 55th Birthday with a few friends and luncheon. It was her last celebration.

My mom has been gone for over 21 years now, but sometimes I still dream about her smiling face as she teaches me about making every day count. Her time on this earth was short.  I have tried to make my time here count too because of her.  "Every day is a gift from the Lord, rejoice in it..." I am pretty sure that was from the bible, a book she read most every day.  If you read my blog you'll learn more about her, she was a joyful soul, who never complained.  She had 3 kids pretty early in her marriage.  Carrying me, (the oldest) she was battling a serious thyroid disorder, that subsequently had to be destroyed so they could regulate it.  My sis was born a year and a half later.  2 years later, my brother was born with a cleft palate, and then her own mother died of breast cancer.  Since my dad traveled alot, and all her family were back in Chicago, this meant we did alot of time in doctors and hospital waiting rooms as my brother endured over 20 surgeries over the course of his childhood.  In her 30's she was stricken with rheumatoid arthritis and psorasis, and had major fatigue and mobility issues.  Finding breast cancer at age 51 after her first mamogram she cheerfully announced that you can live with cancer, that this was not a death sentence.  After a mastectomy, she chose to have reconstruction because this too was not going to stop her from enjoying life.  A year and a half later, the breast implant had ruptured and caused her immune system to go haywire, so the implant had to go. I believe that she would have had a fighting chance, but succumbed to bone cancer that had metastisized from the breast cancer cells and her inability to resist it. Towards the end, every day she would wake fitfully asking if she was still here, and dissapointed that she had to wait to go to heaven.  Her last hours, we held her hands and she whispererd she could see God , she was so convicted of it, I know she went joyfully, just as she lived her life.  Her legacy to me is the joy I get every day when I get to help someone make their day count too.  That is the love of working with kids, teaching, and mentoring, providing a stable home for my own 2 so that one day they can provide a legacy for their own families and friends.  This was a post I have been wanting to write, and on Mothers Day, I am sentimental, especially since my own journey to motherhood was a long and difficult one. I will tell that story in my next post.  Journaling for me on this blog is a way for me to tell the stories I might not have told my own kids in detail.  I hope you take the time, dear reader to write down your stories for your kids.  In our busy screen addicted lives sometimes we don't take the time to communicate our struggles as well as joys.  Both are important. I hope to print this blog out and make a book someday.

I'll end this post with my favorite poem, one I memorized in grade school, I have kept it in my memory for a long time, don't know the author, but it is so much the "fabric" of my life...guess it is telling I love to work with fabric!  Here goes:

The Weaver
My Life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me;

I cannot choose the colors

Or all the pattern see.

Oft times He weaveth sorrow
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,
And I the under side.
 
Not til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.


He knows, He loves, He cares,
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives His very best to those
Who leave the choice with Him.

3 comments:

sewtakeahike said...

aww Sandy! thank-you for sharing this wonderfully inspiring memory of your mother! I love hearing about her conviction and faith in God.
I hope you have the best mother's day ever!

The4Rs said...

Thanks for the kind words, I have alot of personal stories I have been bottling up, I am always unsure that this is a good idea. I love getting to know my lady blogger friends better, guess this is one way to do it. Have you written any personal stuff you wish you hadn't? Comment here Penny or anyone else?

LollyChops said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom!

I have never written anything that I wish I had not. I usually give myself a day to ponder my posts before they go live... and so far no regrets.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

HUGS sweet friend!

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Stat Counter