Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's Cold Outside, make my Fancy Hot Mitts for your kitchen!

Kate and friend Madi modeling my Mitts!
A snowy past week, and a lot of changes.  I sewed for the last time in my lovely sewing room, (aka sons' old bedroom)  Below the sewists dream space, to the teens fav place, complete with stick on polka dots.

We are making room for son to move back home, he gets to have daughter's old room, complete with turquoise, green and purple walls, a much smaller room, but not the hallway my daughters is, since she now has 2 doors.  He reminds me he can have no peace with so many access points.  And  this lovely room above has 2 skylights with no covers, so sleeping in is not an option.  My daughter spent last weeken feathering her new space, and I have been weeding out her childhood, one Barbie at a time.  And Craigs list is getting alot of entries from me as furniture and stuff just is overwhelming.  And here is the kicker, my new sewing space, as it is today:  Yikes!!!!!  This is picked up, I have squirreled away my etsy shop in a hall closet, my clothes closet had to be weeded out to make room for all the sewing and craft projects waiting for me to find the time.  And yes, that Gazelle is sitting prominently in the room, calling me each day to get busy.  I am getting to Curves 3 times a week but I am dragging each week as I find some new muscles to hurt.  Needless to say, getting moving and literally moving, have had me reaching for the pain meds, a little too often. 


This past week and half of total snow, translates into hot kitchen accessories!  My old potholders were calling me to take it up a notch, so using one of my remaining mitt style ones, I thought I'd craft some new ones, using this ugly brown one as a pattern, and recycling two small embellished fingertip towels that were sitting in a drawer unused.  What follows here is a short tutorial,
To begin, gather a tea towel, and some Insulbrite heat resistant fabric or some Soft and Natural batting, and lay your mitt style potholder on top of it, to use it as a pattern.
Cut a layer of batting for the rounded side and for the side with the two part thumb.  Begin by sewing the batting wrong sides together for both thumb parts, upper and lower.  Then take the thumb unit and with right sides together, pin and sew to the rounded u shaped side leaving the bottom open. 
  You can see the fringed bottom of the tea towel showing here, with the insulbrite extending below.  Trim seams and clip curves but not too close to stitching.  Turn right side out, and trim any excess lining away from the bottom.  I liked the fringe showing as it kind of finishes the edges off.  I then stitched the batting  all the way around the bottom, keeping the space open where your hand goes.
Voila!  You have yourself some fancy mitt style potholders that makes use of your vintage fingertip towels and makes you look stylish while you expertly heave heavy pots out of the oven. 

Prayers are being answered quietly in the background, an anonymous friend sent me a lovely note and a grocery store gift card.  Since I don't have that many friends, I already have my suspicions about who the kind soul was, but I will investigate and try to do something nice in return.  I have been successfully decluttering my house, and making some cash, thanks to Craigs List!  And the sun was shining today, that can only be a good sign for the future!

2 comments:

Sofia said...

wish i had a whole attic room as my sewing space. Hopefully one day when we have a house:)
where are you going to move your sewing space?

The4Rs said...

Hi Sofia, I USED to have that lovely room, that son vacated, the second set of pics show the messy corner that I am now confined to. As a result, I haven't crafted or sewn anything for a month, but I hope to unbury it this weekend. Love your blog, Sofia!

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter