Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crafting with Crochet - A Water Bottle Cozy Tutorial


Crocheting for me is a satisfying way to keep hands busy. I choose to make projects that are easy and finish quick. I made a dishcloth for the first time, following a simple pattern to simulate plaid. I might pair this with a "powell" a dishtowel married to a potholder that I sell in my etsy shop. Well with just a collection of cotton yarn leftovers I decided to make a water bottle cozy, to keep my frozen water bottles from soaking my papers and books in my substitute teacher bag. It only took a few hours, and ta da, my quirky bottle cozy was finished. Lots of kids observing me wanted me to make them one too, so I decided to write a short tutorial here on my blog, and I can direct them here if they want to learn more.


Water Bottle Cozy Tutorial



First, I am assuming the reader has rudimentary knowledge of how to make a chain, single and double crochet and slip stitches. I would look at the many tutorials on You Tube for good explanations. I used cotton sport yarn, and a size 5mm or US size 8 crochet hook.
Begin by making 6 chain stitches, and join into a circle with a slip stitch. Work on the same side for all of your rows. Make 10 double crochet stitches into the circle. Join with a slip stitch. Chain 3 and double crochet in the same stitch as the chain. Then Double crochet twice in each of the next double crochets.



This doubling effect expands the circle. Slip stitch at the end of the round, chain 3 and double crochet in the same chain again. On this next round, you will make 2 double crochet, then 1 double crochet alternating, ending with a slip stitch to finish the round. At this point, the circle you have created should be the diameter of an average water bottle.









The next row you will start to tighten the shape a little, and this is where I chain 3, skip a double crochet, and double crochet in the next space, skipping one and creating one all the way around. You will see the shape curling up, but this helps to tighten the tube shape that you will continue in all around till you finish.















You will slip stitch at the end of each round, chain 3 and then double crochet in the next double crochet all the way around for as many rows as you want to make the height of the cozy.














I change colors to create a design, and variegated yarns make the most interest. To finish, I added a round of single crochet, and then chained two colors together to make the handle. You decide how long to make it, mine is short here just to carry, but a long shoulder strap would be nice if you take the bottle on walks.

Hope you enjoy designing your own cozy, I don't enjoy following directions to the letter, I like to experiment and come up with my own ideas. Try varying the stitches, single and double crochet, different colors and different size hooks and yarn.



And with a nod to our upcoming Valentines Day, I made two Needle Books, to be posted on my etsy site. They are simply made form little ladies luncheon napkins, and I layered fabrics inside and stitched them in for storing different needles. I created a little pocket at the back of each to store a sewing kit or embroidery thread and thimbles. I hope to make more, cause even if I don't sell them, I enjoy giving them as gifts to my gal friends. Hope my busy fingers have inspired you to embrace the winter weather, with lots of indoor amusements! Till next time!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Hi San, what a great blog! You might have more followers than you think...the "followers" tab only shows those who have started following through that widget. :) Also I noticed you are from the Cleveland area, we are moving back that way next week to the Independence area. Anyways thanks for stopping by! -Allison

san said...

Thanks Allison! Welcome back to Cleveland, make sure you join the clevelandteam of etsy. They are an active group and do alot of promotion in our local newspapers. I would love to learn who follows, but thank you for checking it out! God bless!

The Tripp Family said...

great craft, & great influence for your students! I'm going to try this soon (I'm about burned out on making headbands, hats & flowers :)

The4Rs said...

Thank you Tripp's, I just saw this and let it post. Sorry, it took so long, hope you try making it, it certainly is more practical than flowers! God bless, thanks for posting, add yourself as a follower if you want!

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter