Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hello October!










I love the seasons! While it is rainy and colder today, I know it will bring a blaze of color, and the crispiness of air and apple as we slide towards the winter. It is such a short time, I know I have to get outside and breathe in the coolness. Well I have been a busy gal with hours spent preparing for my classes each day, and still maintaining the stuff of life that I so enjoy. Pictured here is the big harvest of tomatoes I canned so that I can enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Now I have Mango Salsa and stewed tomatoes standing by to boost my recipes. And a bushel of Cortland apples made their way into sweet apple sauce with a little help from my step mom Ingrid pictured here grinding away...still hope to save some for a pie. I am not done making things with apples, though I will be digging in again soon.


I have so enjoyed teaching again this fall, my Creative Foods class have been challenged but also have shown me that they are up to it. Today we made Yeast Bread Coffee Cake, with the dough rising overnight, and then topping with a custard and fruit sauce. Our first go around over flowed the pans, and the recipe was too big for the small cake and pie plates we tried. Todays class got to make theirs in a 9x13 pan and they were quite attractive. I'll post a pic when I get one from a camera phone. Another 2 classes are beginner sewers, but after a letter pillow they are proudly making handbags, drafting the pattern and designing the result. I am so proud of their talents! My mainly Senior class called Transitions has been challening me to keep the material interesting but also I have to work hard to stay ahead of them. I spend more time each week preparing for it, than any other but after we get through the culiminating project a "mock" interview we should be able to switch gears and do more group work. I am amazed these kids can feel so comfortable with the electronic portfolio I have them making. Each part of the project gets linked to their portfolio, and we save some paper too by simply posting these to a shared drive at school.


I will be posting more items on etsy soon, I have quite an inventory, and am making more for an upcoming Holiday Marketplace. My friends and I tried it last year, under the name "It Takes A Village" and we are hopeful we are more savvy this year about what people are buying. Lots of kid friendly gifts for this one, my friend Paula makes Barbie sleeping bags and I will make quantities of hair clips and pins, keeping them low cost. And the stuff from vintage lace and quilts are always popular. I plan to post a tutorial for a fun pin cushion I made soon.

Well, I have to get caught up on my blogs, hope you all are enjoying your fall, wherever you are reading this!

No comments:

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Stat Counter