Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rain, Mud, Chocolate?

From too much snow, to too much rain, this has been a long winter! I know that the time change just made things a little bit more challenging. What is the antidote to the blues? Why chocolate of course! While some might give it up for lent, this writer chose to give up over-eating, and you can't eat too much chocolate right? Here is one of my favorite bar cookies, so easy, so rich! I still have the original magazine article it came from, tucked into my mom's recipe notebooks. There is a funny pic of a young 50's mom, beaming with pride as this recipe won a Better Homes and Garden award.



Crisp Toffee Bars almost like old fashioned toffee candy – rich, crunchy and delicious!

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
1 6ounce pkg (1cup) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts optional

Thoroughly cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add flour, mix well. Stir in half of the chocolate chips and all of the walnuts. Press mixture into ungreased 15 ½ x 10 ½ inch jelly roll pan. Bake in moderate oven, (350 degrees), 25 minutes or until browned. While still warm, sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top, let melt, and spread across, then cut into bars or squares. Cool before removing from pan. Makes about 5 dozen.

1st appeared in Sept 1959 Better Homes & Gardens Magazine. Mrs. David Murray Syracuse NY

How about you, what do you reach for when the going gets tough, or too wet as it has been in Cleveland? Post your favorite easy chocolate recipe, or post a link! I would love to share and try a few new ones...

2 comments:

Happy Together said...

mmmmm...looks yummy :)

sewtakeahike said...

that sounds so good Sandy! I may have to try this the next time I get a sweet tooth

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter