Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Sunday, February 8, 2009

Remembering Mom

Tomorrow, I will remember my mom for the amazing person she was. 20 years ago, Feb 9th, she left this earth for her heavenly home, after a 4 year battle with breast cancer.


She was famous for doing something nice for someone without them knowing, reading her bible and weaving her wisdom with God's Word; a fabulous cook, she would note on her hand typed recipes, when and who she made the dish for and whether they liked it. Pages that are stained with food and cooking oil, but carefully arranged by alphabet and type, a legacy for me who now cooks with confidence and remembrance for the moments in time captured on those pages. A mom who wrote that thank you note, as soon as the gift was opened, and always got up at 5:00 a.m. to see everyone off to their jobs and school. I can still feel the gift of a warm hug, conferences at the kitchen table, over chocolate chip cookies and milk, pep talks to cheer me on as I went off to job interviews, or tears of joy over my engagement and the long road of infertility and the adoption of my first child, the loyalty of an employee who knew her employer before she could give any orders as I leaned heavily on her when I ran a craft shop; the mom who was always there when you needed her, who wrote long letters of encouragement that traveled short and long distances. And who I now talk to across the divide that separates us. For now, whenever I see a rainbow, or hear a birds song, or see my children the way she saw us, I get it. I feel the connectiveness, walking now in her shoes, as one child becomes an adult, and another heads for teens, I call upon my memories of her to give me the strength to go on, to be that mom that was so instrumental in helping me to know God. I say a prayer of thanks for the blessing of having a mom who was really someone who inspired me to be who I am, and who I hope in turn, I can honor with raising children who love God.

Well, I had to take some moments here, to pause as I remember and write, she always reminded me that we are all here for a purpose, God's purpose. She was way ahead of "The Purpose Driven Life", books and sermons. She defined it for me. I am making a commitment to learn more what it means. I will be seeking answers, stay tuned.
A few more prayers answers, in the last 2 weeks, we have new tenants for our rental, sold furniture and tv for cash and late last week, job interview for me. Not sure if it will lead to a new career, but it is encouraging. And I have been showing homes to a pastoral candidate for a local Baptist church. I am hoping to make them neighbors, soon. God is good!

No comments:

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Stat Counter